Friday, July 11, 2008

Happy Birthday, Lauri. Reminiscence from Mom







On July 11th, a few years ago (or so it seems to me), we were living in Wells, Nevada. Dad was working for the Southern Pacific Railroad and I had just finished my first year of teaching school. Back in "those days" working while pregnant was not popular. When I told my principal I was expecting he said that if anyone ever complained about my condition I would have to quit. Nothing was said. In fact, when I was 7 months pregnant one of the other teachers told me that someone had said I was expecting a baby, and she said she wished the community would stop starting stories about the teachers.
On Saturday, July 11th, I woke up and knew something was happening. We drove the 50 miles to Elko, which was the closest doctor and hospital, and visited with my doctor. He said I was in labor but to go home, take a walk, and come back later. Rowland and I went to my parents home there in Elko, did as I was told, and returned that evening and was admitted to the Elko General Hospital. In "those days" natural childbirth was the in-thing and, of course, we did not know if we were having a boy or girl until she was born. Also, Elko, being the the progressive place it was, did not allow dads in delivery room. After we checked in, Rowland and I played Scrabble until my brain was too scrambled to think. Lauri was born at 10:04 that night. By the way, there is a reason natural childbirth did not remain a popular option...it was the pits!

While I was in the hospital, my Dad was also a patient. He was recovering from hip replacement surgery. I stayed that first week with my parents in Elko. I think they enjoyed having us there. It was good for me, too, because I had zero experience with newborn babies. When they brought Lauri to me in the hospital to change into her own clothes and take home, I didn't know how to proceed undressing a baby!

From day one we have had the most wonderful daughter! Happy birthday, Lauri!





2 comments:

FamilyBlog said...

When I (Tami) asked Richie who that was in the picture, he said, "I don't know!" When I asked him to look closer, he said, "OHHH yea! That is Dallon and Lauri!" Hmmmm......so then I told him it was really GRANDMA and GRANDPA, he was really amazed that those were his grandparents.

FamilyBlog said...

Mom, this is so cool! Look at how funky you two look! By the way, I think Lauri's baby picture looks like Taylor.